Thursday, August 18, 2011

The First Day of Kindergarten!

Today was the day we've been anticipating for a long time - Garrett's first day of kindergarten. Last night I made up our traditional first day of school Blueberry Stuffed French Toast, set the table, made a note, and Chris hung streamers. The house was ready for the big day, even if we weren't!

All in all, it was a good day! As I was in the kitchen last night Garrett came in and asked what I was making. When I told him breakfast, he got so excited, "Oh yeah, the first day of school breakfast!" I told Chris I'm so glad we have some traditions already in place so that even though this is Garrett's first he get's excited because he's sharing in this tradition that up until now has always been about Chris. Then, this morning when Clayton got up before Garrett he opened the door and saw the streamers "I was like, whoa, it's a party?" We ate our breakfast, took a few pictures, and because it was a late start day the boys even had a chance to play for a little bit (so good for Clayton). Garrett checked the time so often I lost count and we were out the door in plenty of time to walk to school. Our neighbor Eden came out to wish Garrett a good first day and take a picture - what a special girl to be so excited for him!

Chris met us on the way so that he could see Garrett at school. Garrett has a big group of kids in his class that he knows from our Friday morning Bible study or from church so he was comfortable with the kids right away. Chris and I chatted with some other parents, took a few pictures and then made our way out, me home and Chris back to school. Yes, I did well up, but not because I'm sad he's going to school. He is so ready and I know he's going to do great! For me, and I'm sure for lots of other parents, the emotion comes from realizing I've spent the last 5 1/2 years with Garrett, pretty much every day, and Chris and I have been the biggest influence in his life. Today that changed a bit and started us on a new journey where his friends and teachers influence him and shape him. I have to trust that we have laid a strong foundation for him to grow as a boy, friend, brother, and most importantly child of God. Before I walked him to school I told him how when I was little my mom always said "Remember to whom you belong" and how I was going to say that to him every day when he goes to school. "Do you know who you belong to?" "Yup, God, and you and Daddy." It is our prayer that that truth keeps growing deep and strong in his heart!





Garrett's best buddy, Liam! They got to be "elbow buddies" today:)
Mrs. Gilson - we've been looking forward to her for YEARS!

So, this one melts and breaks my heart! My Clayton is sure going to miss his best friend!
After we dropped off Garrett, I put Campbell down for a nap, and Clayton got a special surprise - new playdough, and Mama all to himself. Highlight of my day was at supper when he said playing with me was the best part of his day!