Sunday, July 10, 2011

Nikki's first 5k

For the last 10 years or so I have said I wanted to run a 5k. After having Campbell a year ago and struggling to find time for me, for fitness, to get back some energy Chris challenged me to actually run a 5k with him. He agreed to run with me in preparation and run the race with me. Every night for 3 weeks prior to the race (Zeeland Zoom) we would go for a run - I have always said I don't like to run, and I can now say I'm not a natural runner, but I don't mind it as much. Those runs together were the perfect chance to process our heartache, frustrations, laugh about funny things the kids had done and said...by the end I realized I ran a lot better if I didn't talk at all, which meant Chris got to do a lot more processing :). About a week before the race my knees started to really hurt, so we took the race pretty easy; Chris saw a lot of former running friends who wanted to know his time and I felt very responsible to let them know he had run with me! Thank you Chris for challenging me to do this and for helping me prove to myself that I could!